Aims and Objectives
Through PE we aim to encourage a lifetime love of sport and keeping fit. Our PE and sport aspires to build determination, passion, respect, honesty, self-belief and teamwork. These values will endeavour to:
- Improve health and well-being.
- Provide a broad range of high quality opportunities and outcomes for all.
- Encourage community involvement.
- Promote active participation and competition at all levels.
- Raise achievement and supporting excellence.
As a result of our PE and School Sport audit we have identified areas for improvement and we intend to spend our Sport Premium money from the government on supporting the development of these areas:
- CPD (continuing professional development) for staff ensuring the PE curriculum is adequately taught across the school.
- Encouraging the children to make healthy lifestyle choices which can be measured by attendance, punctuality and levels of club participation.
- To provide increased opportunity for sporting competitions in school.
- To continue our links with other schools and partnerships through the Shepway Sports Trust.
- To continue to focus and improve the core skills of children in EYFS and Year 1.
Teaching and Learning
In the Reception Class opportunities will be provided for children to be active and to develop their co-ordination, control and movement through moving and handling activities which involve the use of a range of equipment and involve different spatial experiences. Structured lessons and opportunities for outdoor physical activity will last at least 2 hours each week.
Pupils in both KS1 and KS2 will engage in lessons of high quality PE each week. In KS1 the curriculum focuses on fundamental movement skills to develop agility, balance and co-ordination. Curriculum content includes ball skills and team games, gymnastic and dance activities. At KS2 pupils will continue to apply and develop a range of skills and units of work which include a range of invasion, net/wall, and fielding and striking games, gymnastics, dance, athletics and swimming. Children’s experiences will also be enriched through opportunities for outdoor and adventurous activities. A range of resources will be used to support progression across the curriculum including: Rising Stars Scheme, and specialist coaching sessions for different sports.
Assessment and Recording
Teachers assess children’s knowledge, understanding and skills in Physical Education by making observations of the children participating during lessons. As part of our assessment for learning process (and in line with our school’s assessment policy), children will receive verbal feedback in order to aid progress in the subject. Children are also encouraged to be critical of their own performance, highlighting their own next steps. Twice a year, Foundation subject assessment grids are completed by class teachers, showing children’s attainment in the following three areas: Physical, Cognitive and Social & Emotional. The school’s banding system is used to do this. The Curriculum Leader then analyses this data and provides feedback to the PE Leader in order to inform and improve future practice.
The School uses the principle of STEP for adjusting lesson activities for differentiation. Some children with particular needs may require different activities, for example, with a particular focus on fine motor skills if hand to eye coordination is a challenge.
- S = change the space available
- T = change the time allowed
- E = change the equipment, e.g. softer or larger balls, different sized bats, etc…
- P = change the people, e.g. size of the groups
Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development and British Values
Developing a positive attitude generally is not simply about celebrating sporting success and learning to lose well; but also encouraging children always to do their very best regardless of their ability; praising progress and achievement in a way that does not cause fear or upset for lack of performance or failure; and treating team mates, opponents and referees with respect. Essentially, using every opportunity to maintain and raise self-esteem all round.